For the filling
- 400g Minced veal or lamb
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp Macadamia or Olive Oil, or a combination of both
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups cooked vegetables (your choice)
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- pinch of salt & pepper
Mashed potato topping
- 5 large potatoes
- 30g butter
- 2 cups full cream milk
- a handful of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil and cook onion for 5 minutes. Add turmeric and stir well.
- Add minced veal or lamb and cook for 5 minutes until lamb changes colour.
- Add garlic, chili flakes and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add mushrooms and cook for few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for few minutes.
- Add corn starch and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until combined.
- Add cooked vegetables, lime juice, red wine and beef stock, cook for few minutes.
- Add the rest of spices (paprika, thyme and coriander ground).
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add parsley, Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile: wash, peel and cook potatoes in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and put aside.
- Return to the pan and add butter.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash until smooth.
- Add milk and use a wooden spoon to stir until combined. You my use electric blender to smooth the mash potatoes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon meat and vegetables mixture into an ovenproof baking dish (26*15 centimetre).
- Top with mashed potato and use a fork to spread over meat mixture.
- You may sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turn and tend until mashed potato is golden brown.
Author: Nazli Bashi, Instagram: @parionazi