(If you are serving this as a meal on its own, it might only be enough for 6)
- 375g self-raising flour (extra flour for kneading and rolling out)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp white pepper, ground
- 1 tsp mustard, ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Plenty Safflower Oil
- 375g Plain or Greek yoghurt
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ cup of Plenty Safflower Oil
Macadamia & Avocado Dressing
- ½ cup plain or Greek yoghurt
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Plenty Macadamia Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh dill leaves, chopped
- 2 small lettuce heads (butter, gem or similar), leaves washed & picked
- 200g bocconcini, roughly torn
- 160g pancetta
- 1 cup basil leaves, picked
- 300g mini tomatoes, any kind, cut in halves
- 1 red onion, cut into rings, you might not use all of it, but this gives you choices for ring size in the salad building stage
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, made into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Only use the parts that make beautiful ribbons. But don’t waste the off-cuts, let them shine by adding them to soda or tonic water for a refreshing drink.
Flatbread – make these first
- Mix dry ingredients together well in a large mixing bowl. Add Plenty Safflower Oil and yoghurt and mix on low with an electric mixer using a dough hook until the ingredients are well combined, mix for a further minute or two. Or mix by hand using a spoon, then place onto a flour dusted surface and knead for a minute or two or until all of the ingredients come together. Set aside for an hour in a flour lined bowl with a plate on top to prove.
- Combine crushed garlic and Plenty Safflower Oil and set aside.
- Uncover dough, which will have increased in size, divide the dough in half, then half again and divide each quarter into three dough balls. Roll out onto a floured board and using either your hand or a rolling pin to make a rough round shape about 2 mm high. Brush with crushed garlic and Plenty Safflower Oil on both sides.
- Grill on BBQ or frying pan at a medium to high heat for a minute or two on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for serving.
Salad & Dressing
- Make the macadamia & avocado dressing first by adding all ingredients (except dill) to a small blender and blitz until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste if you like. Fold through dill leaves and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and place pancetta onto lined cookie trays in single layers. Cook for 15 minutes, turning twice to make sure it crisps.
- While the pancetta is in the oven, build layered mini salad towers onto a large serving plate using one lettuce leaf as the base for each tower. This way each person can pick up a flatbread, scoop up their personal layered salad tower, add it to the bread and have a ready-made salad wrap to fold and devour.
- Our salad layers were in this order, more or less. Lettuce leaf base, red onion rings, cucumber ribbon folded, dollops of avocado & macadamia dressing, another couple of red onion rings, dollops of bocconcini, more dressing, scatterings of basil leaves, pancetta, and a tomato half or two, finished with more red onion, bocconcini, dressing and basil.
- Serve the platters with extra macadamia & avocado dressing so your friends and family can pile on plenty of flavour.