- 2/3 cup Plenty Heart Smart Safflower Oil
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled, whole
- 3 star anise
- 3 bay leaves, dry or fresh
- 1 tbsp Korean chilli powder/flakes
- 1½ tsp five spice, ground
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 whole green shallots, finely chopped
- 4 fresh small red chillis, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all oil infusion ingredients into a small pan over a medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Keep on the heat for 20 minutes, checking to make sure the spices don’t burn. Allow the oil to cool, then strain spices from the oil, and put the oil back on the heat to bring the temperature back up again to a low simmer.
- Place all fresh ingredients into a heat proof bowl, then very carefully pour hot oil onto the ingredients. Once the sizzle stops, whisk together with chopsticks, or other heatproof tool. Carefully transfer the mixture back onto the heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring to cook the raw spices.
- Cool, jar and keep in the refrigerator. Enjoy dolloped onto dumplings, meats, beans, pizza or tofu!
- Chillis have different heat levels (measured in Scoville Scale) with each plant and crop, even among the same species. So test the oil once it’s done before you smother your dumplings with it. You may need more or less depending on the batch! Enjoy!
- Keep covered and in the fridge.
- Great for gift giving.
Plenty “Heart Smart” Safflower oil is available in store at Woolworths.